1 of 10 people have hearing loss—but that number is only part of the story. Family, friends, co-workers, etc. are all affected when communication is hampered by hearing loss too. It’s a pervasive problem that touches everyone. As you look through these statistics on hearing loss, remember—these aren’t just numbers; they’re real people:
- 30% of people aged 60 and over suffer from hearing loss.
- Almost 15% of people between the ages of 41-59 struggle with hearing problems
- Over 7% of adults 29-40 have already sustained some level of hearing loss
- 1.4 million kids younger than 18 have hearing loss, and 3 out of every 1000 babies are born with profound hearing problems that can significantly impact their development
There are real emotional, psychological, educational and even economical difficulties that are tied directly to hearing loss. So many people—so many families…But hearing loss doesn’t have to win! There are sound solutions to hearing loss that can bring better communication, better hearing and a better quality of life back to you.
Just think of how many lives could be improved if that hearing loss could be treated and your hearing restored to some degree! Our audiologists in Columbus can help.
Symptoms of Hearing Loss
Everyone mishears something now and then. And people do mumble from time to time. But when it seems like everyone is mumbling and you keep asking people to speak up more often, there could be a problem:
- Do you struggle to follow conversations in crowded rooms?
- Do you increasingly have to ask people to repeat themselves?
- Are you frustrated by how “everyone” seems to mumble?
- Do you have to crank the TV or car radio all the way up (to the point of annoying other people)?
- Are you struggling with telephone conversations?
- Are you frequently sleeping through your alarm clock?
- Have you noticed an increase in misunderstandings in your relationships?
- Do you strain to understand children’s voices?
- Do you struggle with tinnitus (persistent ringing or roaring noises in your ears)?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, call Hearing Health Solutions in Columbus today at 888-638-5095 to schedule an appointment for hearing tests. It is very likely that our audiologists can find you the right set of hearing aids or other hearing assistive devices that will bring great sounds back into your life!
What Causes Hearing Loss?
There are numerous reasons why a person might be struggling with hearing loss:
- Persistent exposure to loud noise
- Certain medications
- Head injuries
- Birth defects
Hearing tests can help us figure out why the world sounds so distant, and our audiologists can use this information to craft a hearing health care plan that brings it back within hearing range.
What Types of Hearing Loss Are There?
The type of hearing loss you have impacts the type of hearing loss solutions we can recommend. While hearing aids and other devices can be a great boon to many people with hearing problems, some patients may require a different approach.
Conductive—This type of hearing loss occurs when something prevents sound waves from being conducted properly through the ear. Examples of this kind of hearing loss include:
- Excessive ear wax accumulation or impaction
- Fluid in the middle ear (due to illness or allergies)
- Perforated ear drum
- Swimmers ear
- Ear infections
- Something is stuck in the ear
- Deformation of some part of the ear structure
Sensorineural—Usually the most difficult to treat, the nerve pathways or tiny hairs inside the inner ear have been damaged or are missing due to:
- Drugs or medications that damage the hairs in the cochlea
- Disease or infection
- Loud noises
Mixed—Both sensorineural and conductive hearing loss conditions are present simultaneously.
Central—The ability of the central nervous system to process incoming sounds has been damaged (often called an “auditory processing disorder”). Strokes, advanced age and other central nervous system complications can cause central hearing loss.
Hearing tests administered by our highly-trained audiologists can determine what type of hearing loss you have and how we can best treat it.
Hearing Aids and Other Sound Solutions
If you struggle with hearing loss, don’t be embarrassed. You are not alone, and we can help you rediscover hearing and improve the quality of your life and the lives of those around you! Hearing Health Solutions has a team of talented, experienced audiologists in Columbus (in 6 convenient locations) who will listen to you and help you find a way to turn up the volume on life again. From all kinds of light, nearly invisible and incredibly high tech hearing aids to a host of other hearing health care devices and therapies, we can help you overcome even the most challenging forms of hearing loss.
Call for an appointment today at 888-638-5095!